Our fair City is offering checks of up to $200 to help offset the costs of higher property tax bills to qualifying homeowners. Here are the details:
To be eligible, homeowners must have
- a principal residence in the City of Chicago,
- make $200,000 a year or less, and
- an increase in their 2008 property tax bill, when measured against the 2007 tax.
The amount of "tax relief" is based on a combination of income level and the size of the your property tax increase. This chart breaks it down:
Anyone who wants to apply for a taxpayer relief grant must
- Complete the application
- Attach a copy of his or her 2008 tax bill
- Attach a photocopy of a government-issued photo I.D. that shows the same home address.
That said, I suggest that you to get your application in as quickly as possible...
Do let me know if you have any questions about this program or if you need help determining your eligibility.