by Michael H. Wasserman, Attorney at Law
My clients and the friends & colleagues that refer them, mean the world to me.
In their honor, a portion of the fees generated from each successful Chicago area real estate closing is donated to a worthy charitable organization, as selected by the Client.
The Thanks to You program - now in its fourth year - is both an expression of my gratitude to clients and friends of the program, and a statement of our collective efforts to build stronger communities.
In 2013, ten select organizations collectively received well in excess of $7,500 to promote better education, better health, and the fine arts. The running total over the past three years, has now surpassed $18,000.
2011 marked the first time a client matched my pledge. 2012 marked the first time a Realtor did so too. 2013 saw the first double - a client and broker matching on the same deal. I work with some pretty terrific people.
This year's program should be even better. Our 2014 grant recipients will be:
- WORKING IN THE SCHOOLS - Promotes literacy and the love of reading among low-income and minority students in Chicago Public Schools by providing one-on-one tutoring and mentoring.
- READING IN MOTION - Provides at-risk children from Kindergarten through 3rd grade with the key tools required to achieve grade-level reading, through the power and discipline of the arts.
- ALZHEIMER'S ASSOCIATION - The leading, global voluntary health organization in Alzheimer care and support, and the largest private, nonprofit funder of Alzheimer research.
- RESPIRATORY HEALTH ASSOCIATION - A Chicago agency that promotes healthy lungs and fights lung disease through research, advocacy and education through community-based interventions.
- WEST TOWN BIKES - Promotes bicycling among Chicago’s youth with a focus on under-served populations. WTB teaches independence, professional skills, environmental stewardship, & the importance of exercise & good nutrition. Earn-a-bike youth programs offer instruction in bike building, mechanics, & bike safety. (Even a little science too!)
- GIRLS IN THE GAME - Girls who grow up playing sports develop into healthier, happier and more successful women. Chicago’s leading girls' health and fitness organization empowers making healthier choices and develops confidence and leadership skills needed to succeed on and off the field.
- EMERGENCY FUND - Provides immediate no red tape, short term financial aid to low income individuals and families on the brink of crisis. Crisis Solution Grants may cover transportation passes, food vouchers, eye glasses, prescription medicine, and clothing, rent, and/or utilities of clients in need.
- GREATER CHICAGO FOOD DEPOSITORY - Chicago’s food bank, distributes donated and purchased food in Cook County, equivalent to 135,000 meals every day.
- TREE HOUSE HUMANE SOCIETY - A cage-less, no kill cat shelter dedicated to the rescue & rehabilitation of sick, injured & abused stray cats, with a particular .focus on the care and placement of stray cats with special physical & emotional needs.
- TIPITINA’s FOUNDATION - Supports New Orleans’ & Louisiana unique musical culture by providing youth band instruments, workshops, internships and coop work spaces to local artists